Monday to Friday (7:00am-3:30pm)
Cranswick Country Foods is one of the largest pork processors in the UK, dealing with multiple customers, the foodservice sector and further processors.
An exciting new opportunity has arisen for an Apprentice Slaughterman to join the busy Abattoir team at the Preston site. The purpose of the role is to learn the full process of the Abattoir, whilst maintaining food hygiene and Company standards.
Main duties include:
- Learn the key principles of the Abattoir and the principles of waste minimisation
- Learn the craft and knife skills used for slaughter
- Understanding of how to correctly sharpen a knife and able to apply safe working practices when using knives
- Understand the principles of the pig species, welfare, FCI and finished dressing specifications
- Adhere to the cold storage, stock control and safe movement of meat in the production environment
- Ensure that all statutory (industry guidelines), legal, food safety & customer requirements are met
Note that the list of duties is not exhaustive and is intended for guidance only.
- 18 years +
- Previous experience of FMCG manufacturing (advantageous)
- Understanding of continuous improvement tools and techniques
- Awareness of carcass quality to Butchery
- Ability to meet job requirements
- Full AWO Training (advantageous, this will be trained out)
- COC Certificates for working with Animals (advantageous)
General Attainment & Training:
- QCF level 2 Food Safety Award
- QCF Level 2 Health & Safety in the Food Supply Chain Award
- QCF Level 2 Knife Skills Award
- £7.83 per hour, starting wage
- Access to the company Share Save Scheme after 12 months of employment
- Company Pension
If you are an internal applicant, please ensure you have made your line manager aware before applying.
To apply, please submit your covering letter and CV to:
Closing date: 27th July 2018